I finally finished restoring the old treadle sewing machine I bought a couple of months ago. After doing some more research, I no longer believe it's a Davis made machine. Instead, it appears to be a US-made machine (possible a Free model) that was purchased by the Canadian based Raymond Sewing Machine Co. who made modifications to the design (such as the very Canadian maple leaf and shamrock decals, and the bobbin winder). There don't appear to be any records kept to date my machine based on the serial number, but extensive researching and the advice of several antique-sewing-machine-savvy individuals I've been fortunate to chat with online leads me to believe it was likely manufactured sometime in the 1890's. It's surely no younger than 1916, when Raymond sold to White Sewing Machine Co, who moved the company to Cleveland, Ohio.
I love that it's a Canadian machine! As many of the vintage sewing machine enthusiasts name their machines, I've decided to name her Marie-Colleen. "Marie-" on account of my Acadian-French-Canadian heritage (the maple leaves), and "Colleen" for my husband's Irish roots (the shamrocks).
Now, onto her restoration. This was a pretty time-consuming process, but it was well worth it for the gorgeous sewing machine I've ended up with. I didn't want to completely refinish the cabinet, since the original finish was in pretty good condition. I started out with a bit of carpenter's wood glue and some clamps to fix some loosened veneer in a few places. Then it was time to clean it up:
Also in line with restoring the cabinet were the treadle irons. These were rusty in spots, and had many areas with large portions of the original paint completely flaked off down to the bare iron. So, with Jeff's help, I completely took the irons apart and repainted them with Tremclad Rust Paint. Here they are after getting a primer coat, looking positively ghostly:
On her outside, she got a thorough cleaning with mild dish soap and water, which removed the layer of dusty grime. Then she got a coating of TR-3 Resin Glaze. This is a product which was often recommended by vintage machine enthusiasts online, and which I had to have an American friend buy for me and ship up here because it's not sold in Canada:
I also think I'll post a couple of how-to's sometime in the next couple of days. I had a bugger of a time finding directions anywhere on how to properly thread a top-leaf-tension machine. Now that I've got it figured out, maybe I can help someone else out with my new knowledge.